Updated April 2015
Mouseclick to see larger photo
Rosebank House was owned by various families including David Dale, the founder of the New Lanark Cotton Mills, in the later years of his life. It stood west of Bridge Street and south of the River Clyde on a site which later became a chemical works. The house is shown from the side with outhouses beyond, and a washing on the green in front of the house. Four figures, apparently servants, stand around the house and the garden.
Hallside was built in 1790 by Geroge Jardine, Professor of Logic and Rhetoric at the University of Glasgow, and extended in 1840. It stood east of Cambuslang, east of the road between Westburn Road and Hamilton Road.
The house is shown across a terraced garden framed by bare trees. 'Old Country Houses of the Old Glasgow Gentry' was published, with detailed text, to create a record of country houses in and around Glasgow thought likely to be affected the growth of the city or other industrial centres.
View of Rosebank Dyeworks, Somervell Street
Rosebank Dyeworks was built in 1881 for the production of Turkey Red yarn. It closed in about 1945.
This view shows the main two-storey and attic range with its central belfry and Greek key pattern decoration. In the foreground is the yard of Mitchell Engineering, manufacturers of clay-working machinery, founded in 1891.
Yarn dyeing was a specialised business which served the power-loom weaving industry centred in the east end of Glasgow.
This image shows a group of workmen examining some archaeological remains. These were found at Dalton School, Cambuslang in 1930. The remains consist of a stone-lined pit or 'cist'. These were used to bury dead people in during the Bronze Age - roughly 2,500 years ago. Cists like this have been found all over Britian and parts of Europe. They often contain the remains of a crouched skeleton. The grave often also contain a number of grave good - a clay pot or 'beaker', flint arrowheads, a wristguard and flint or bronze knives. It is uncertain who was actually burried in these cists but the archaeological evidence point to them being very important people. Bronze was a very prestigious material back then and to be burried with it was a bit like being burried with a sports car today.
The gas holder at Cambuslang
(the largest of its type at that time)
is blown up in October 1979
This image shows the delivery van and driver of the Richmond Park Laundry Ltd, from Cambuslang. The company would have picked up, washed, and delivered the laundry from big houses, hotels and so on. The company were awarded a prize by the Agricultural Hall, London. Companies like the Richmond Park Laundry Ltd became popular in the second half of the 19th Century. At that time they would have used horse-drawn carts for their deliveries. When motor vehicals became popular in the early 20th Century, companies were able to udate their fleet, allowing them to carry more goods more quickly.
This images shows the staff of R & J Templeton Ltd. They are standing in the shop on Main Street Cambuslang. Grocers' shops like this one were the forerunner of the current Supermarket.As with supermarkets, the shop stocked a wide range of foods - not just meat or bread like a butcher or baker. The prices you see may be from the old Imperial money, but some of the names should be familiar. Bird's Custard Powder and Corn Flakes can be seen in the image.The shop had a lot of staff. The customer would ask for what they wanted, and a member of staff would fetch and pack it. However, many grocer's shops had difficulty during the rationing brought in during World War II. They had to reduce their running costs. They therefore employed less staff and self-service shopping was introduced.
Caledonian Circuit was built by Lanark County Council as part of its slum clearance scheme in the 1940s. These tenements provided new homes for those people who were previously accommodated in run-down, overcrowded and unhealthy buildings. This photograph shows the three-storeyed block of tenements. It has white painted render walls, and brick entrances which lead to the access stairs. The building consists of a large central section with angled end blocks. This simple design in spacious surroundings would have seemed very fresh and modern in the 1940s. The contrasting white render and brick has a slightly Art Deco effect, as do the tall windows above the entrances.
Letter of reference and photograph issued to James Sweeny, ploughman and tractor ploughman for F. H. Murdoch of East Hallside Farm, Cambuslang, Lanarkshire. The letter was written on the 23rd September 1955. The letter praises Mr Sweeny's work on the farm, stating that for nine years, he has proved himself to be completely trustworthy and reliable and always open to carrying out anything that was asked of him. A good letter of reference would have been a vital help in seeking a new job. This letter and photograph shows that Mr Sweeny is capable of adapting to new technologies and is a hard worker.
Westburn House was built in 1685 by a branch of the Hamilton family and extended in 1703. It stood east of Clydeford Road on the site of Westburn golf course. It was demolished around 1895. The house is seen from one side showing the different generations of building across parkland. There seems to be a washing line supported by a pole and a large tree, stretched across the park.
Wellshot was built in 1806 by John More, the cashier of the Royal Bank in Glasgow. It still stands, now converted into flats, north of Brownside Road. The house is shown along its ivy-clad façade.
Cambuslang - No 3 colliery - 3 times pickers get a cheerful send off from miners - L to R C McPhee C McGrothy and A McLaughlan.
Hoover staff dance 1959
The Station Café at Cambuslang, Lanarkshire, c. 1950s. A popular venue for a cup of tea or an ice cream, the Station Café was run by Frederico Pontiero, a member of one of the many families of Italian descent who established ice cream, fish and chip shops and cafes throughout Scotland. Ice cream is a popular choice of food for British people. A survey in 1996 reported that the British consumed eight litres of ice cream per head a year, with the sweet toothed Irish and Scots accounting for much of this total.
Frederico Pontiero boiling and preparing the mix for ice-cream, at the Station Café, c.1950s.
Hallside Village 1901 Census
(you need MS excel to view this)
Donated by John McGee Jan 05
The Orion Bridge
This bridge was built to link Cambuslang to Tollcross, probably in connection with the development of the Clydebridge Steel Works on the Tollcross side. The three-span structure was designed by Crouch and Hogg, Glasgow. This view shows the bridge from the south west. The roadway is carried on steel lattice trusses supported on cylindrical masonry piers. Note the Clyde Iron Works in the background: the steel works was to the left. This bridge was bypassed in the late 1970s, as its construction was too slender for the increasing weight of traffic, but still carries local traffic. The iron works has been demolished.
Bridge linking Clyde Iron works and Clydebridge
View of the front of the Richmond Park Laundry, Cambuslang Road, Rutherglen, Lanarkshire
The Richmond Park was one of the largest laundries in the west of Scotland built to serve the domestic market. By the time this photograph was taken some of the complex was in other use, but all the buildings seen here were designed as the laundry. This view shows the main frontage from the south east, with the central office flanked by single storey north-light workshops. The chimney served the boiler-house, for laundries consumed large quantities of hot water and steam. Households over a wide area sent cotton and linen goods to such laundries before washing machines became common.
Clydesmill Power Station 1955
Clydesmill Power Station was built as one of the first 'base-load' power stations in Scotland after the creation of the National Grid. It was subsequently extended. It was originally owned by the Clyde Valley Electric Power Company Limited.
In this view the original station is on the left, with many chimneys serving its small boilers. The extension on the right had fewer, larger boilers. It drew its cooling water from the river Clyde, which can be seen in the left foreground.
This was a very large power station by the standards of the time, as it had some very significant consumers among its industrial neighbours, including the Clyde Iron Works and Clydebridge Steel Works.
View of Cambuslang Precinct renovation July 1984. - Donated by Colin Findlay Sep 2010
Snippits from the Cambuslang Pilot and Advertiser from the late 1920s.
I spoke to Ewan Barr in May 2012 and he gave permssion for me to publish them. The actual original papers are held in the Reformer office in Hamilton, and Kenny Smith, their Chief Reporter, kindly loaned them to me so that I could obtain these extracts which should amuse and interest you.
Click here to see